Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Diva genes


I am excited. Tomorrow I am joining my family to celebrate Christmas. Our family has a strong bond, but we all lead busy lives so we don't see each other often "en groupe". I am especially looking forward to seeing my mum.  She is an incredible person. She used to be an opera singer. Divorced with 3 small kids she studied opera at the conservatory in Maastricht which she finished "cum laude". As a child I was privileged to see many of her performances in great productions such as Rigoletto, Hofmann's Erzahlungen and Aida.
I would often be seated next to the fireman behind the stage and I had free access to the dressing rooms. How I admired all the costumes, the buzz, the drama......and the goosebumps I got from standing ovations.This photo was part of the promotional material for Donizetti's Maria Stuarda where my mother sang the role of Anna, Maria Stuarda's nurse. Dame Joan Sutherland performed the role of Maria Stuarda!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails