Tuesday, June 29, 2010

From my bookshelves: The Chinese Pavilion



Over the years I have gathered many inspiring books, books that are a part of me. Today I have picked my out of print copy of The Chinese Pavilion by Ake Setterwall, Stig Fogelmarck and Bo Gyllensvard (1972). It is the most delicious book especially for those of you who love chinoiserie. While living in Stockholm about 7 years ago I instantly fell in love with the Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm (one of the Royal Palaces in the vicinity of Stockholm).  The pavilion was a birthday present (1753) to Queen Lovisa Ulrica from her husband King Adolf Frederik.
It is a only small palace but so beautifully conserved and I was simply capitivated by its beauty. I went back on many occassions, convincing friends and family visiting from abroad it was a must see. Not everyone agreed with me but to date it remains one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen. Leaving Stockholm I just knew I would miss the pavilion and I was happy to find a used copy in a small bookshop. Browsing the book again this morning made me feel happy and inspired. I just made some snapshots of the book for you to see and if you would like to put the book on your wishlist there were 2 used copies available through amazon this morning!

9 comments:

  1. lovely oriental images...would love to look up this book on amazon. thanks for sharing!

    Persis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that would be a wonderful book for any bookshelf I think. Beautiful colours, they are so uplifting. One of the biggest travel thrills I've had was to go to the Forbidden Palace...maybe one day I'll get to visit the palace in Stockholm. It sounds like a wonderfully romantic place x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chinese Pavilion is really beautiful! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like such a lovely book, thanks for sharing a bit here with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I LOVE chinoserie! I would love to figure out a way to incorporate it into my decor (and find some at a reasonable price!). More colorful posts coming your way soon, Mariska! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these images, Mariska. So colorful and ornate. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so pretty. I think I would side with you in this would be a must-see! The colors, the textures, I love it all!

    Rachael

    p.s. Have you had time to enter my $50 CNS Store giveaway? Be sure to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh i love it. i am so into that look right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great book. It makes me wanna incorporate a little splash of oriental decor in my livingroom.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails