Friday, March 19, 2010

Women with Passion - Emilie Charmy

Yesterday I spend the day at TEFAF Maastricht, the world's leading art and antique fair and I fell in love... I fell madly in love with French artist Emilie Charmy (1878-1974). It was my first encounter with her work and her story. In Emilie's days many women were shunned from the art world but she pursued her passion despite the fact that at the time women were not allowed to study at the art academy.
She worked amongst others with my big hero Matisse. While painting she would follow her instinct, using bold colours and developed her own distinctive style. Standing in front of her work you can just feel the passion, the love that she had for her art.
In this picture I am standing with Mr Zimmerman of Kunsthaus Buehler in front of one of Emilie's striking self portaits.

A painting on the front cover of Women Artists and the Parisian Avant Garde by Gill Perry (unfortunately out of print)

Self portrait

Emilie Charmy in her Studio

1 comment:

  1. oh sweetness. you are so my inspiration!!! i think this looks like so much fun. what an incredible day!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails